Cayo Coco Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional Jardines del Rey (a.k.a Cayo Coco Airport) is the airport serving the island-resorts of Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Paredon and Cayo Cruz, but also the province of Ciego de Avila. It's located on the main island of the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Cayo Coco, off the northern coast of Cuba. It handles both international and domestic flights. It was inaugurated on December 26, 2002. There was already a small domestic airport on Cayo Coco, but before 2002 the large aircrafts had to land at the Maximo Gomez Airport in the city of Ciego de Avila, which is 1 ½ hour away from Cayo Coco and 2 hours away from Cayo Guillermo.
After the opening of an International Airport on Cayo Coco, the Maximo Gomez airport in Ciego de Avila became a domestic airport, and the old domestic airport on Cayo Coco was closed. A part of the road that connects Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo used to be the runway of the old airport, some runway markings and taxiways are still visible. The old airport’s tower now serves as an observation tower in the Parque El Baga (nature park).
Distance and travel time by road from the Cayo Coco Airport to :
- Cayo Coco hotels: 12 to 17 km, 15 to 25 minutes (depending on hotel)
- Cayo Guillermo hotels: 40 to 46 km, 40 to 45 minutes (depending on hotel)
- Cayo Paredon Grande: ~ 30 km, about 30 minutes
- Cayo Cruz: ~ 70 km, about 65 minutes
- Town of Moron: 64 km, about 60 minutes
- City of Ciego de Avila: 94 km, about 90 minutes
- City of Camaguey: 210 km, about 3 hours
- City of Trinidad: 231 km, about 3 1/2 hours
- Varadero Resort: 464 km, about 6 hours
- Havana City: 522 km, about 6 hours
- IATA code: CCC / ICAO code: MUCC
- Official name: Aeropuerto Internacional Jardines del Rey
- Address: Cayo Coco, Jardines del Rey, Ciego de Avila, Cuba
- Phone: (53 33) 25 303 / (53 33) 30 9165 / (53 33) 30 9161
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Civil
- Operated by: ECASA (Empresa Cubana de Aeropuertos y Servicios Aeronauticos S.A.)
- Longitude: 78° 19' 43” W / Latitude: 22° 27' 40” N
- Elevation: 4 meters (13.1 feet)
- Time zone: GMT-5 (-4DT)
The airport has only one terminal building which is air-conditioned and non-smoking. There's no jet-bridges, mobile staircases are used for embarking and disembarking passengers onto the tarmac.
Airport facilities include:
- Arrivals area: Cuban Immigration and Customs, baggage carrousel, bathrooms, public phones, currency exchange, Infotur office (tourist information), car rental, taxis.
- Departure hall (public area): Check-in counters, bathrooms, Immigration/Passport Control, public phones, currency exchange, snack bar (outside).
- Departure Gate Lounge: 1 public waiting lounge, 2 VIP lounges (one belongs to the airline Cubana de Aviacion, the other one is accessible to any passenger, $), bathrooms, currency exchange, Infotur desk (tourist information), public phones, 2 snack bars, 3 Duty-Free shops, a few souvenirs kiosks.
Click the following link for information about the Ground Transportation (buses, taxis, car rental) available at the Cayo Coco airport.
Click to view our Pictures of the Jardines del Rey Airport.
Lily & Normand