The City of Ciego de Avila
This is the capital city of the province of the same name, Ciego de Avila. It lies on the most important highway in Cuba called the “Carretera Central”, see the interactive map at the bottom of the page. The city of Ciego de Avila is about 100 km (90 minutes’ drive) from Cayo Coco. The Tour Operators located in the lobby of each resorts offer many guided tours to Ciego de Avila usually combined with a tour of the town of Moron, see our Excursions section for more details.
The city is characterized by its mixed of architectural styles; a free interpretation of classicism of the Eclectic period with its Neoclassic portals and columns, combined with Moorish, Baroque and Art-Deco elements. The city is surrounded by wide plains where pineapple is harvested, from which comes its nickname of “Land of the pineapple ”. The inhabitants also refer to their city as “the city of porches”, a reference to its colonnaded house-fronts with long roofed corridors along the sidewalks.
Here are some of the attractions found in Ciego de Avila:
- Parque Marti : A large and beautiful colonial park in the center of the city.
- Museo Provincial Simón Reyes : Offers visitors, in its six exhibition rooms, a panoramic view of the most significant elements of the historical and cultural roots of the area.
- Teatro Principal : a 500-seats theatre completed in 1927 and considered for its acoustics among the best in Cuba.
- Museo de Artes Decorativas : The building is the most elegant example of the eclectic Avilan architecture.
- Parque de la Ciudad : A park located on the northwestern edge of town, with an artificial lake and an amusement park called "La Turbina".
- Galeria de Arte Provincial : An art gallery featuring works by Raúl Martínez (Cuba's king of pop art) and other local artists.
- Plano-Mural de Ciego de Ávila : A bronze map of the city in the late-19th century on the side of a building, it also marks the site of its founding on June 26, 1840.
- Iglesia Catolica : The Church of San Eugenio de la Palma (patron of the city), dating from 1947.
- Ayuntamiento : Ciego's town hall dating from 1911 located on the main square (Parque Marti).
- Universidad de Ciego de Avila : University with colorful buildings, founded in 1978 and organized in 5 faculties.
- Parque Zoologico : Small zoo.
Municipio Ciego de Avila
• Founded on June 26, 1840
• Also known as "La Tierra de la Piña" (land of the pineapple), and, “the City of Porches”
• Municipality area: 445 km2
• Population (2010): Municipality: 143,449, City: 125,609
Lily & Normand