Click for an aerial view image showing the location of: the hotels in Cayo Coco and the hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Click for an aerial view image showing the location of: the other tourist facilities and services in Cayo Coco and in Cayo Guillermo
All hotels are located along the northern coast of the island. They all have a direct access to the beach, expect for the Islazul Aparthotel Azul and the Sitio la Guira. They are divided into 3 main sectors (Cayo Coco East, Cayo Coco West, and Cayo Guillermo), and on 8 different stretches of beach, here they are:
Sector Cayo Coco East :
- Hotels on Playa Las Coloradas: Pullman Cayo Coco, Melia Cayo Coco, Sol Cayo Coco.
- Hotels on Playa Larga: Iberostar Cayo Coco, Iberostar Mojito, Tryp Cayo Coco, Colonial Cayo Coco
- Hotel on Playa Las Conchas: Villa Gaviota Cayo Coco
- Hotel not on the beach: Islazul Aparthotel Azul (about 10 km from Playa Larga)
Sector Cayo Coco West :
- Hotels on Playa Flamenco: Melia Jardines del Rey, Pestana Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco
- Hotels on Playa La Jaula: Memories Caribe, Hotel Playa Coco
- Hotel not on the beach: Cabanas Sitio la Guira (a few minutes from Playa Flamenco and La Jaula)
Sector Cayo Guillermo :
- Hotels on Playa El Paso: Sercotel Cayo Guillermo, Iberostar Daiquiri, Melia Cayo Guillermo, Sol Cayo Guillermo
- Hotels on Punta Rasa (between Playa del Medio and Playa El Paso): Grand Muthu Hotel Cayo Guillermo, Catalonia Cayo Guillermo
- Hotels near Playa Pilar: Iberostar Playa Pilar, Centara Grand Beach Resort Cayo Guillermo
- Hotel near the marina: Villa Gregorio (has a small beach a few steps away)
The majority of hotels on Cayo Coco (and Cayo Guillermo) are resort-style and All-Inclusive (meals, snacks, drinks, daily activities, evening entertainment, non-motorized water sports), except for the rustic cabanas at Sitio le Guira, the Aparthotel Azul, and the hotel Villa Gregorio. All properties (buildings, infrastructures and services) belong to government-owned hotels group: Grupo Gaviota, Gran Caribe, Cubanacan, and Islazul; however management contracts are awarded to several international hotel chains, such as: Melia Hotels International (Spain, Iberostar Hotels & resorts (Spain), Blue Diamond Resorts & Hotels (Canada), Accor Hotels (France), Pestana Hotel Group (Portugal), Sercotel Hotels (Spain), MGM Muthu Hotels (India), Catalonia Hotels & resorts (Spain), Centara Hotels & Resorts (Thailand).
Click to view a chart showing the number of rooms per hotel.
The size of the hotels varies greatly, from 4 rooms up to almost 1,200 rooms. Their star rating ranges from 2* to 5*. Most of them cater to everyone (couples, families and singles), and a few are adult-only properties (such as Melia Cayo Coco and Memories Caribe).
Tourism development in the Jardines del Rey archipelago started with the construction of the 27-km causeway to connect Cayo Coco with the main island of Cuba, it was inaugurated in 1988. The first hotels to open were: the Club Villa Cojimar (currently named Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo) on Cayo Guillermo in 1992, and then the Guitard Hotel on Cayo Coco (currently named Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco) in 1993. Since then many other hotels were built as well as several tourist services: marinas, dive centers, delphinarium, commercial centers, entertainment facilities, etc.
Current constructions and developments
Hotels under constuction in Cayo Coco
• No new hotel currently under construction
Hotel projects for Cayo Cruz
• Hotel Quebrada 17 (550 rooms), 2017-2018
• Hotel Quebrada 21 (700 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Punta Cocina Parcela 32 (895 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Quebrada 24 (680 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Punta Cocina Parcela 30 (1,145 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel ? (name still unknown for the 6th projet)
Hotels under constuction in Cayo Guillermo
• Grand Muthu Hotel Cayo Guillermo (500 rooms), 2017
• Catalonia Cayo Guillermo (500 rooms), 2017
• Centara Grand Beach Resort Cayo Guillermo (245 rooms), 2017
• Hotel Punta Playuelas (temporary name) (158 rooms)
Hotel projects for Cayo Paredon
• Hotel Roca Este I (600 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Roca Este II (584 rooms), 2017-2018
• Hotel Roca Norte I (700 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Roca Norte II (600 rooms), 2018-2020
• Hotel Roca Centro III (600 rooms), 2018-2020
The Jardines del Rey beach-resort is currently the most active area in Cuba for tourism development. The archipelago should reach a capacity of about 32,000 rooms distributed in the following islands (from west to east): Cayo Las Brujas, Cayo Ensenachos, Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Coco, Cayo Paredon Grande and Cayo Cruz.
Visit our Latest News section to stay up-to-date on hotel openings, changes in names and management, and new tourist facilities.
Lily & Normand