The town of Moron
Morón is a town and a municipality in the Ciego de Avila Province in Cuba. It’s the closest city to the Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) beach-resort (Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Paredon Grande), see the interactive map at the bottom of the page. It’s the oldest city in the province, and the second in importance, after the capital Ciego de Avila City.
The Tour Operators located in the lobby of each all-inclusive resorts offer many half-day and full-day guided tours to Moron, see our Excursions section for more details. It’s also easy to get to Moron by yourself, the town is about 45 minutes' drive from Cayo Coco, and about 75 minutes from Cayo Guillermo. You can either hire a taxi (the driver will be your guide), or rent a car. On your way to Moron (or on your way back), we suggest doing a few stops to see a few other interesting places in the area, such as: Crocodile Farm, Laguna de la Leche, Laguna de la Redonda, Pueblo Holandes, and Loma de la Cunagua.
Here are some of the attractions found in Moron:
• El Gallo de Moron, the monumental bronze sculpture of a rooster (symbol of the town), made by the Cuban artist Rita Longa in the 1980's.
• Horse-drawn carriage rides in the city center
• The pastel-colored houses and arcades
• Parque Marti, a park built in 1926 in honor of the Cuban poet and politic figure, José Marti.
• Terminal de Ferrocarriles, the superb train station with stained glass ceiling.
• Museo Municpal, the city museum with more than 600 archaeological finds
• Museo Provincial (provincial museum)
• Galeria Pauyet, a gallery-workshop that create exclusive pieces or art from cutlery items
• Trocha de Jucaro a Moron, a defensive work that played a major role in Cuban war of independence in the 19th century
• Teatro Principal, a theatre built in 1922, eclectic style
• Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria (church)
• The numerous Paladares (privately owned restaurants in family home)
• Founded on May 24, 1543 (a municipality since 1976)
• Also known as "La Ciudad del Gallo" (the city of the Rooster)
• Municipality area: On the mainland 585.5 km2 + the Cayos (keys) 407.1 km2 = Total 992.6 km2
• Population (2010): 64 661 inhabitants
Click to view our Gallery of the Moron City.
Lily & Normand